Our bulk and zinc concentrates are trucked from the mine to the loading facility at Bing Bong 120 km away. From Bing Bong a purpose-built barge, the MV Aburri, transports the concentrate to ships waiting at sea. The concentrate is then exported to refineries around the world.
Our contract fleet of road-trains used for trucking have fully covered, side-tipping trailers with a payload of approximately 120 tonnes. They consist of prime movers with two quad-axle trailers and an AB configuration.
They deposit the concentrate in a storage shed at Bing Bong, which has the capacity to hold 90,000 tonnes.
A range of safety procedures are followed to ensure there are no dust emissions from the road-trains. These include:
- wheel washes at the exit to the mine site and Bing Bong to wash away any dirt and materials that may have accumulated from the site
- protective covers over each trailer to prevent dust and spillage
- speed limiters to 85 km per hour on the road trains
- fully covered unloading dock at Bing Bong
- specific procedures for tipping into the storage shed which prevents concentrate spilling onto ramps and clearing all concentrate from the road train.
Lead concentrate is trucked in sealed containers by road to the Glencore smelter in Mt Isa.